Facilitate Benefits Mapping Workshop
Facilitate a workshop which helps discover benefits of a project or programme and identify links from project deliverables, through business change to strategic/ programme goals.
What the service provides for the customer
- It helps Project Execs / SROs to clearly articulate the benefits of their project or programme
- It helps ensure everyone understand the anticipated benefits to be delivered, thereby contributes to gaining buy-in to a project or programme
- It provides project / program managers with a standard approach for benefits to be identified for inclusion in the business case and consistent alignment with programme/ strategic goals.
- It aligns the benefits with a viable change management plan and benefit measures to be agreed and for benefit owners to be identified to help ensure benefits are realized beyond the life of a project/ programme.
Why is this service being offered to the customer?
- The PMO provides expert advice and guidance on the consistent assessment and categorisation of benefits.
- The PMO provides objective challenge for benefits identified.
- The PMO provide input and knowledge of other benefits maps (to challenge potential overlaps and gaps) within the programme/ portfolio.
- The PMO provides project / programme managers with a standard approach for benefits to be identified; for benefit measures to be agreed and for benefit owners to be identified.
- The PMO provides expert facilitation services to allow focus on all contributors on the subject matter rather than the workshop process.
How PMO will apply this service
Project Exec/ SRO
Stakeholder knowledge / opinions
|A completed benefits map||
Project Exec / SRO
Project / Programme Manager
The PMO will run this sort of workshop as part of the definition process, at the request of a Project Exec / SRO or Project/Program Manager. It is advisable to hold a pre-brief / planning session to understand the initial rationale why the project or program has been initiated and to agree the agenda for the workshop. They will then facilitate the workshop (or series of workshops) to build up a complete benefits map, which will detail the output(s); enabling/business changes required to realise the benefits and the alignment with strategic goals. Discussions should also be held over who will own each of the benefits identified and how success will be measured. This information can then be built upon to provide a benefits profile per benefit identified and will feed into a robust business case.
They will then facilitate the workshop (or series of workshops) to build up a complete benefits map, which will detail the output(s); enabling/business changes required to realise the benefits and the alignment with strategic goals. Discussions should also be held over who will own each of the benefits identified and how success will be measured. This information can then be built upon to provide a benefits profile per benefit identified and will feed into a robust business case.
How the PMO will measure the value of this service
The PMO can measure this by asking for feedback on the success of the workshop from attendees, particularly the project or program manager and the Project Exec / SRO. An alternative view could be requested from the Portfolio Manager and Business Case approvers, to assess whether the quality of Benefits articulated within business case documents has “improved”.
Criteria when the PMO will use this service
- When the organisation wishes to have consistent quality business case documentation
- When the organisation wishes to map out how its projects/programs will help achieve its strategic goals
- When a Project Exec / SRO wishes to gain buy-in to their project / program
Helpful hints for the PMO when delivering the service
- Invite stakeholders from across the organisation who will own / realise the benefits that will be delivered – invite a broad cross section to pool knowledge.
- Consider developing a benefits map template and standard agenda for such a session – to ensure consistency of approach.
- Build the benefits map up from right (strategic goals) to left (outputs).
- Train several members of the PMO on the benefits management process and facilitation techniques to be able to facilitate such a session.
- A series of workshops may be required to fully complete the benefits map.
PMO Capabilities to fulfil this service
|Competencies||Techniques and Generic Tools|
MIRO / MS Whiteboard
Brown paper & post-it notes
PESTLE / SWOT / MEDIC
- Track and report on benefits realization
- Develop benefits management framework
Download this Service
Download a pdf copy of the information for this service.
Download All Services
Download the complete set of additional services.